Choosing contact lenses or glasses from a wide variety is always a tough question. Many of you like me have started wearing glasses at an early age and have been wearing them for more than 10 years. I bought my first pair of glasses when I was in the first class of high school back in the early 90’s. I could barely see the board at school and had to half close my eyes to be able to see what the teachers was writing. Of course, back then I couldn’t buy glasses online, so for the years to come I would go to one of the city’s optical shops and try among dozens of pairs.
It wasn’t but when I was 20 years old that I started wearing contacts. Now, there is a long debate betweeen glasses and contacts, but it’s a personal thing. For many years I’ve been swifting from one to the other, depending on the situation.
The use of contact lenses has gained a lot of popularity in the past few years, but it has not reduced the use of glasses, which has maintained its place since its birth.
Both contact lenses and glasses have their own advantages and disadvantages. We can’t rate one over the other as its benefits depend on the requirements of the person.
Here is Dr Vaske, an optometrist, from Colorado giving the various alternatives one with shortsightedness has:
Advantages of using Contact Lens
· It improves your eyesight without letting others know about the problem. It is a boon for those who don’t like the burden of wearing glasses every time.
· Have you always craved for a particular eye color may be blue or green? Using a contact lens can easily fulfill this wish as you can choose a contact lens of your choice.
· If the frame of glasses on your nose and behind your ears hurt you every time, opting for contact lenses is the right choice for you.
Disadvantages of using Contact Lens
· Are you concerned about protecting your eyes from dust and other impurities in the air? Then, contact lenses are not the right option as it doesn’t cover your eyes.
· It may not suit everyone as some of us may feel irritation in the eyes while using it. It can also cause burning sensation in the eye due to allergy.
· Wearing a contact lens is quite a tedious process if you are a new user. You need quite some time to get used to it. Apart from this, you also have to be extra careful in wearing and taking it off as it’s very delicate.
Advantages of using Glasses
· As glasses completely cover your eyes, they protect you from dust when you are out. Like an outer cover for the eyes and without having any direct touch with the delicate muscles of the eyes, they improve your eyesight.
· Unlike contact lenses, you can easily wear them as well as remove them. You can safely keep them in the box which generally comes with them.
· If the frame suits you, it adds an intelligent quotient to your personality making you look smarter. You can choose the frame of your glass as per the structure of your face and your whole personality. There is also a lot of variety and designs available in the frames from which you can select.
Disadvantages of using Glasses
· It doesn’t suit everyone’s personality and may not be liked by everyone as it is like an extra burden on the face.
· In case of very weak eyesight, you may have to wear a thick glass which always gives a feeling of heaviness on the face.
· It may hurt your nose and ears in the initial days if you are using it for the first time.
So, on the whole, I would recommend you to opt for glasses or contact lenses according to your needs as both have their pros and cons.